My first experience with Charles Bukowski was with his poem “No help for that”. It led me to purchase his poetry collection “You Get So Alone at Times That It Just Makes Sense“. Since then, I’ve been slowly amassing a collection of his work.
I try to avoid his edited work, and I’ve collected a few links below to help explain what that means and why I am picky about the collections that I purchase.
- The senseless, tragic rape of Charles Bukowski’s ghost by John Martin’s Black Sparrow Press
- Bukowski Forum: The senseless, tragic rape of Charles Bukowski’s ghost by John Martin’s Black Sparrow Press
- Bukowski Forum: Roominghouse Madrigals
- Bukowski Forum: Women
- Bukowski Forum: editing by john martin
- Bukowski Forum: Poem comparisons
The first link is fairly comprehensive in describing John Martin’s effects on Bukowski’s work, with the following few containing discussions by collectors and fans, as well as a subforum with many posts with specific examples.
Last edited: 2/10/2018
Here’s a current list of my collection and my want list.
- South of No North
- Hot Water Music
- The Last Night of the Earth Poems
- Dangling in the Tournefortia
- Love is a Dog from Hell
- Mockingbird Wish Me Luck
- The Days Run Over the Hills Like Wild Horses
- Play the Piano Drunk like a Percussion Instrument until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit
- Ham on Rye
- Post Office
- Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions and General Tales of Ordinary Madness
- Confessions of a Man Insane Enough to Live with Beasts
- All the Assholes in the World and Mine
- Notes of a Dirty Old man
- Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame
- Me and Your Someties Love
- Poems and Drawings (EPOS)
- Poems Written Before Jumping Out of an 8 Story Window